Top 5 Cleaning Techniques for Kids’ Braces
5 Methods for Maintaining Children's Braces
Braces are a significant orthodontic intervention to straighten misaligned teeth, especially in children. However, the introduction of braces also brings about a need for enhanced oral hygiene. Proper care ensures not only the effectiveness of the braces but also prevents potential dental problems. Here are five ways to maintain braces hygiene for children:
1. Regular Brushing:
- Frequency: Children with braces should brush at least twice daily – once in the morning and once before bed.
- Technique: They should use a soft-bristled toothbrush and brush at a 45-degree angle to the gums, ensuring that the spaces between the braces and the tooth surface are also cleaned.
- Special Tools: Flossing with braces can be challenging. However, using orthodontic flossers or floss threaders can make the process easier.
- Method: Gently guide the floss between the teeth and the braces, moving in a back and forth motion, ensuring all debris and food particles are removed.
3. Use of an Antiseptic Mouthwash:
- Purpose: Mouthwash can kill bacteria that might be missed during brushing and flossing.
- Frequency: Encourage your child to rinse their mouth with an antiseptic mouthwash once daily, preferably before bedtime.
4. Regular Dental Check-ups:
- Professional Cleaning: Despite daily cleaning, some plaque can still remain. Regular dental check-ups and cleanings will ensure that the teeth and braces remain clean.
- Adjustments: These check-ups are also crucial for any necessary adjustments to the braces.
5. Avoid Certain Foods:
- Sticky and Hard Foods: Children with braces should avoid foods like caramel, gum, popcorn, hard candies, and nuts. These can stick to the braces or even damage them.
- Healthy Alternatives: Encourage children to opt for braces-friendly foods like yogurt, bananas, mashed potatoes, and soft bread.
Conclusion: Ensuring proper hygiene for children with braces goes a long way in guaranteeing the effectiveness of the orthodontic treatment and overall dental health. By integrating these five methods into their daily routine, children can have a hassle-free braces journey.