The news is by your side.

Tragic Death in Karachi as Brain-Eating Amoeba Claims Another Life


Karachi witnessed yet another heartbreaking incident as a young man fell victim to the deadly ‘brain-eating amoeba’ known as Naegleria fowleri. Salman Ahmed, a 21-year-old resident of DHA, succumbed to the infection on Thursday, adding to the growing number of fatalities caused by this microscopic organism. Ahmed had been admitted to a private hospital on 18 June after experiencing a fever, but despite receiving ventilator support, his health deteriorated rapidly, leading to his tragic demise on 6 July.

This recent loss marks the sixth reported death related to Naegleria, with four cases occurring in Karachi, and Quetta and Hyderabad each recording one case.

The investigation into Ahmed’s case has revealed a potential source of the infection. It was discovered that he had previously bathed in the swimming pool of a private academy located in DHA. Following this revelation, samples were collected from the pool, and the analysis indicated low chlorine levels, raising concerns about water sanitation and safety measures.

Health experts have criticized the Karachi Water and Sewerage Board for failing to maintain adequate chlorine levels in the city’s water supply. They emphasize the urgent need to address this issue to prevent further cases of Naegleria infections. Furthermore, experts have highlighted the deteriorating condition of sewage lines, which poses a significant risk to water quality and safety. It is imperative for authorities to take swift action to address these concerns and implement measures to ensure the proper disinfection of water sources.

In light of these alarming developments, citizens are strongly urged to take precautionary measures to protect themselves and their families. It is recommended to clean underground water tanks regularly and utilize chlorine tablets for water disinfection. Additionally, individuals should be vigilant and aware of the symptoms associated with Naegleria infection, such as severe headache, fever, nausea, and a stiff neck. Seeking immediate medical attention upon experiencing these symptoms is crucial for early diagnosis and treatment.

The rise in Naegleria-related deaths underscores the importance of comprehensive efforts to improve water sanitation, maintain proper chlorine levels, and upgrade sewage systems. By addressing these issues promptly, we can strive to prevent further tragedies and ensure the safety and well-being of the community.

Leave a comment